Final Project Design
The purpose of this assignment is to propose your final robotics project, for which you have the rest of the semester. You may choose your own groups for the final project.
Your proposal should include the following components.
A clear description of what you want the robot to do. Ideally, the
task should incorporate vision, motion, and sensing. The task does not
have to involve human interaction. It could involve identifying and
manipulating objects in the environment, or simply navigating the 2nd
floor environment using some kind of localization, with goals set by
some kind of interface (e.g. a web page or remote operator).
My suggestion is to pick one facet of the project that you want to showcase. Some realistic possibilities include:
- Robust human-robot interaction for a particular task (like greeting people coming onto the 2nd floor).
- Some type of RL type learning, best with discrete states and actions.
- Vision-based landmark localization, possibly using posters/paintings.
- Remote operation of the robot, preferably coupled with some kind of localization.
- Robot hide and seek (visual recognition and hiding/searching strategies.)
- Modeling a dog's behavior.
- There will be an in-class demo on the last Thursday of the semester. While your writeup, cleanup, and possible final tweaks to the robots can occur after that, your robot should have all of the basic functionality identified in your plan. All materials must be complete before the final exam.
- Your proposal should have a diagram or clear description of each separate module and how they will communicate (e.g. vision module, nav module, control module ).
- Your proposal should include weekly goals that you will demonstrate during lab time on the 16th, 30th, and Dec 6th. You may also want to identify dependencies in your project (what has to be done before what) and make sure your work plan makes sense.
Make a wiki page with your project plan. Give it the label cs363f09proposal