Weekly Lab Exercises
The lab exercises will be posted here weekly. The work in lab will lead into and be part of the week's project. Labs will also count significantly towards participation.
Lab Instructor Information
Prof. Bruce A. Maxwell
Office hours: Knock
The learning goals for the lecture and lab are the same -- both are meant to work together to accomplish the goals for the course as a whole. They are:
- Students can read a simple program and correctly identify its behavior
- Students can convert a problem statement into a working program that solves the problem.
- Students understand abstraction and can break down a program into appropriate procedural and object-oriented components
- Students can generate an approximate model of computer memory and describe how an algorithm affects its contents.
- Students can communicate the result of their work and describe an algorithm.
Lab Exercise 1: Equipping yourself for the projects
Lab Exercise 2: Searching and Splitting
Lab Exercise 3: Modular Design and Lists
Lab Exercise 4: Interfacing with the Terminal
Lab Exercise 5: Representing Elephants as Lists
Lab Exercise 6: Searching
Lab Exercise 7: Classes
Lab Exercise 8: Designing Classes
Lab Exercise 9: Dictionaries and Inheritance
Lab Exercise 10: User Input and Geometric Thinking
Lab Exercise 11: Designing Interaction