Critique and Analysis of Interactive Art
Due Monday 11 January
The purpose of this assignment is to get you thinking about how to describe and analyze an interactive art installation.
Find two examples of an interactive art installation. The only requirement is that the performer or audience is able to manipulate the behavior of the installation. It can be an example where a performer is the one interacting with the system.
For each example, write a short critique of the piece that includes the following information.
- The title of the piece and some type of citation/link/URL.
- A short summary of the piece in your own words. Avoid metaphors and words that carry emotional meaning. Describe the piece as analytically as possible. The summary description should be 1 paragraph (3-4 sentences) at most.
- Describe the type of interaction the piece exhibits and try to explain, as best you can, the rule set that governs it.
- Classify the piece according to the various dimensions we discussed in class: audience, actors (who interacts with the system), physical space, interaction time, rule set dynamics (do they change), inputs, outputs, qualities of the video, qualities of the sound. In all cases, avoid emotional terms or metaphors.
- Finish by summarizing what you see as the purpose/meaning/type of experience the artist is trying to provide to the audience.
For this project, make a short wiki page with your writeup. Give it the label cs267J16assignment1 when you are done.
If you have any questions about creating a wiki page or giving it a label, please stop by Monday morning before class.